Roar....A dino birthday card!

                                                                                 Someone is turning two!


I am getting ready for a special birthday for one of my favorite little guys ever!  Vinny is turning two and loves, loves, loves dinosaurs.  His current favorite book is Dinosaur, Dinosaur by Byron Barton which he roars at when we "read" the book.

I thought it would be fun to make his birthday card reflect the art found in Dinosaur, Dinosaur by constructing an interactive card that we can "roar" with.

I came across the perfect pattern from SVG Cuts.  It is a waterfall card...which I had never heard of before but apparently this type of card has been around for awhile. Basically, it is a card that you pull a tab and parts of the card can move up and down.  In this case, it is a cute little dino that when you pull the tail, his mouth opens up as if roaring....PERFECT!



The card was easy to make! Following the instructions from the SVG Cuts pattern, I cut the pieces using my die cutting machine from vibrant cardstock paper.  

Needing some depth and texture to the card, I embossed the background of the card. the head and feet of the dino, and the orange plant leaves with several embossing folders. This was perfect, the embossing gave the much needed texture and depth with out detracting from the simplicity of the dinosaur. 

Once embossed, I glued the pieces together (SVG Cuts has a wonderful video tutorial to watch for instructions on their site which was very helpful!)



With the front of the card put together, I couldn't help but pull the dino's tale.....here he is roaring....I can almost hear the roar.


For the inside of the card, I was inspired by one of the pages of the book.  So with a very strong nod to the art and colors used by Byron Barton, this what I came up with:




To finish the card, I printed the inside of the card onto white 5.5 x 4.25 cardstock and attached the interactive dinosaur to the front.  I think Vinny will enjoy his birthday card....can't wait to hear him roar as we pull the dino's tail.


Comments

Popular Posts